Neurotransmitters are complex chemical messengers that coordinate clear communications between neurons in your brain cells and the rest of your body. These back-and-forth transmissions can influence nearly every cell, tissue, and biological decision in your body – and your life.
Brain neurotransmitters are a really big deal. Do you know if yours work properly?
Neurotransmitters Boost Communication Between Brain and Body
These chemical messengers connect the brain and spinal cord with the rest of your body and with your muscles, organs, and glands, says Daniel D. Amen, MD, author of The Brain Warrior’s Way.
Your brain’s billions of nerve cells make trillions of connections with each other. (These are called synapses.) Then, each nerve cell generates electrical signals that travel with help from those brainy chemical messengers.
These chemical envoys may affect every cell, tissue, and system in your body. And because neurotransmitters are also deeply involved in the immune system and your hormones, neurotransmitter imbalances can cause health problems:
- Brain fog (loss of focus)
- Insomnia (difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or both)
- Fibromyalgia (localized pain)
- Diabetes and pre-diabetes
- Mood disorders (depression, mood swings)
- Anxiety (PTSD)
- Behavioral addictions (binge eating, gambling, etc.)
- Hormonal imbalances
Balance Your Brain to Feel Lighter and Brighter
When your brain’s chemical transmitters are healthy and in balance, you may think more clearly, feel less anxious, and enjoy a more positive outlook.
Some of our most effective supplements include neurotransmitters, as well as dozens of vitamins and minerals you may need for a brighter mind:
- GABA(Gamma amino butyric acid) is a major calming brain neurotransmitter in the central nervous system that supports mood;
- Serotonin is another inhibitory (or calming) neurotransmitter tied to appetite, pain, and digestion; and
- Melatonin is a neurotransmitter-like property involved in many body functions such as sleep and depression.
Latest posts by BrainMD Life (see all)
- Do You Know the Best Ways to Ensure a Healthy Pregnancy? - March 7, 2019
- 4 Immune Boosting Supplements to Take in the Winter - January 30, 2019
- The Best Natural Ways to Increase Serotonin | BrainMD - January 20, 2019